In a tranquil desert setting, Promises Scottsdale offers holistic, evidence-based treatment for women with eating disorders. Our eating disorder program addresses all of your psychological, emotional and behavioral health challenges, which are the hidden co-creators of your troublesome relationship with food.
Under our care you’ll work with highly qualified eating disorder professionals including physicians, licensed therapists and a dietitian. Our ultimate goal is to help you achieve full wellness of body, mind and spirit as you loosen the hold your eating disorder has maintained over your life.
What Is an Eating Disorder?
Individuals with eating disorders may eat too little over a prolonged period of time or too much during repeated episodes of binging, putting their health and eventually their lives in danger.
These patterns are often driven by fears, anxieties and compulsions. Eating disorders can be overcome with help from trained specialists who understand why eating disorders develop and know how they can be successfully treated.
Types of Eating Disorders
Here are the four categories of eating disorders and their most common symptoms:
- Low calorie consumption that leads to progressive and continuous weight loss
- Extremely poor nutrition that causes additional health troubles
- Obsessive concern with being overweight that has no connection to reality
- Compulsive exercise and calorie counting
- Strong denial that anything is wrong no matter how much weight has been lost
- Binging on large quantities of food on a regular basis
- Purging after binging, using laxatives, chemicals or other techniques to provoke vomiting or diarrhea
- Compulsive exercise and dieting
- Shame and guilt over binging episodes, without any changes in behavior
Binge Eating Disorder
- Periodic episodes of binging not accompanied by purging
- Hiding the truth about the behavior from family and friends
- Shame, guilt and embarrassment, without changes in behavior
- Fluctuations in weight with a long-term tendency to become overweight
Unspecified Eating Disorders
- Less severe or life-altering versions of anorexia or bulimia
- Partial manifestation of symptoms associated with anorexia, bulimia or binge eating (purging with no binging, night binging, etc.)
Each type of eating disorder can cause serious health problems if allowed to continue without treatment. Should you recognize any of these symptoms from your own life — or from the life of a loved one — it is vital that you seek the assistance of an eating disorder treatment program immediately.
Treatment for Eating Disorders
At Promises Scottsdale our menu of treatment options for eating disorders is vast and their focus is multilayered, which helps us customize your treatment to meet your specific needs.
In keeping with our commitment to evidence-based treatment, Promises Scottsdale features gender-specific facilities, which allows women with eating disorders to heal and recover in empathic, mutually supportive surroundings.
Some of the therapies we offer include:
- Individual, group and family therapy
- Nutrition counseling
- Dialectical behavior therapy (DBT)
- Psychiatric care
- Trauma-focused counseling
- Experiential therapies
- Body image counseling
- Eating disorder support groups
- Mindfulness training and other mind/body holistic practices
Your choices will be diverse and varied, and all will give you the opportunity to play an active role in your own recovery. Learn more about how we treat eating disorders.
Get Help Now
Eating disorders are serious mental health conditions that can ruin your health and put your life at risk. But there is hope. Call us today and we can help you recover and rebuild your most important relationship: your relationship with yourself.